Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Foundations of my future


This morning I was listening to a recording made in 1968 of an interview my uncle conducted with my Great Great Grandmother. Yes, my Grandmother's Grandmother. Grandma Maude, as she was referred to by me up until she passed away when I was 4 years old, was born in 1878. Needless to say the interview was interesting.

After listening I was forced to reflect on my own grandparents and my connection with my family's history. As I write this, at 36 years old, all 4 of my grandparents are living. Something not too common it seems. In 2006 I decided to photograph each of them and capture a part of life and experience unique to me. I wanted to convey within each portrait how I see each of them. Creativity, confidence, tenderness and independence are only a fraction of who they are and how they each impacted my life.

Annie Liebovitz said in her autobiography that as a photographer, her greatest honor and responsibility is photographing her family. I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment